(864) 639-2156 or (864) 639-2794
Open Every Sunday Except Holidays
2 - 4 PM

Central Heritage Society

In planning the 1993 Central Railroad Festival (Labor Day Weekend) several local citizens were asked to prepare an exhibit to inform the public about Central’s history. An extensive exhibit, including original documents, photographs, newspaper clippings, furniture, clothing and other artifacts was assembled in a vacant commercial building on Main Street. The exhibit was open for two full days of the festival and staffed with local historians. According to the official register, over 500 people visited the exhibit.

On the basis of the tremendous response to the exhibit from local citizens, the Central Heritage Society was formed in November 1993. The purpose of the organization is to perpetuate and disseminate historical information, and to preserve artifacts and other materials from prehistoric times to the present as it relates to the Central Township, South Carolina. Within this purpose shall be included historic information, artifacts, structures, and all other materials that help to define Central Township.

m3In the spring of 1994, the Heritage Society was given permission by the Town of Central to use the Old City Hall/Jail as a museum. The Society was also given space in the Old Central High School to use as a storage area for all the archival and material culture that was an is being donated to the Society. In April 1995 Milton and Betty Holcombe through their foundation, donated money to the Central Heritage Society to buy the Jessie and Jennie Morgan house and its contents for use as a headquarters for the Society and as a Central History Museum. The home was built in the 1893 by Jeptha and Minnie Morgan, owners of a local mercantile store.

Home | Become a Member | History of Central | Map of Central | Books for Sale | Links | e-Mail

Central Heritage Society
416 Church Street
P. O. Box 1162
Central, SC 29630